2010 MIT SDM Conference on Systems Thinking for Contemporary Challenges
Addressing complexity and innovation in energy, sustainability, health care, and service systems
October 21-22, 2010, at MIT
MIT's annual systems thinking conference, sponsored by the System Design and Management Program, is devoted to showcasing the new ways of thinking, working, and leading required to address today's complex challenges. Focused on energy, sustainability, health care, and service systems, this two-day conference has been carefully designed to provide practical information on how to use systems thinking to integrate technology, management, and social sciences to achieve success.
Speakers include experts from MIT and industry. Each will describe an interdisciplinary, "systems thinking" approach that can be applied across industries, around the world, so that attendees can demonstrate value to their companies when they return to the office.
There will be significant opportunities to ask questions of our speakers, as well as to network with other systems thinkers attending the conference.
Confirmed speakers include:
- George Apostolakis--Commissioner, US Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Joseph Coughlin--Director, MIT AgeLab & Senior Lecturer, Engineering Systems Division
- Pat Hale-- Senior Lecturer, Engineering Systems Division; Director, SDM Fellows Program
- Kristian Kloeckl--Senseable City Laboratory, Lead, Real Time City Group
- Richard C. Larson--Mitsui Professor of Engineering Systems and Civil and Environmental Engineering; Director, Center for Engineering Systems Fundamentals
- Deborah Nightingale--Professor of the Practice of Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems; Codirector, Lean Advancement Initiative, Director, MIT Center for Technology, Policy and Industrial Development
- Andrew Scott--Associate Professor, MIT School of Architecture and Planning
- John Sterman--Jay W. Forrester Professor of Management, MIT Sloan School of Management; Professor of System Dynamics and Engineering Systems, MIT; Director, MIT System Dynamics Group
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger--Visiting Lecturer at MIT Sloan School of Management and Engineering Systems Division
- Bruce Beihoff--Global Leader Advanced Systems; Senior Principal Technologist and Director of Innovation and Technology-Systems and Process Research, Whirlpool Corporation
- Mark D. Jenks--Vice President of Development, 787 Program, Boeing Commercial Airplanes
- Satish Narayanan--Project Leader Integrated Building Systems, UTRC
- Kevin Otto--Consultant, Robust Systems and Strategy LLC
From Health Care:
- Blackford Middleton, MD--Director of Clinical Informatics Research & Development, Partners HealthCare System; Assistant Professor of Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and of Health Policy and Management at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Roberto A. Rocha, MD--Senior Corporate Manager for Knowledge Management and Clinical Decision Support, Clinical Informatics Research & Development, Partners HealthCare System; Faculty, Division of General Internal Medicine and Primary Care, Department of Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School
We invite you to join us on October 21-22, 2010. Details and registration information can be accessed via the links at left.
For additional information on the event or to become a conference sponsor, contact Pat Hale, director, SDM fellows program, email@example.com.