Named World Fellow of Composites by ICCM
By Lois Slavin
August 13, 2001
Professor Paul Lagace, who is LFM-SDM Co-director, Margaret MacVicar Faculty Fellow, and Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems, was recently named a World Fellow of Composites by the International Committee on Composite Materials (ICCM) at their conference in Beijing in June 2001. This honor is bestowed upon individuals of outstanding achievement in the science, technology, engineering, and application of composite materials. There are currently just four individuals that ICCM has recognized in this way.
ICCM is an international scientific and engineering organization whose mission is to:
- encourage the free interchange of information on all aspects related to composite materials which are of interest to the global scientific and engineering community,
- provide a world-wide forum for the discussion of such topics,
- guide and foster the understanding and utilization of the science and technology of composite materials,
- promote international cooperation and education in composite materials science and technology, and
- recognize individuals of outstanding achievement in the science, technology, engineering and application of composite materials.
Founded in the 1970s, ICCM has member nations from all populated continents and more than 1,000 individual members.
Professor Lagace was specifically recognized for his technical contribution to composites at an international level and his achievements in advancing the objectives of ICCM. The President of ICCM, Professor Murray Scott of Australia, said “Paul has made a sustained contribution to the advancement of composites at the highest levels and his work on the ICCM Executive Council has had a very significant impact on the future of international cooperation in this field.”
“I am very honored to be so recognized by my colleagues and especially to be placed amongst a group of such illustrious people who have contributed to the advancement of composites,” said Professor Lagace. “It gives me special pride that this recognition comes from ICCM, an organization that is about cooperation amongst people from all over the world and where I have worked hard to help make this occur. This is similar in a number of ways to my work in LFM-SDM where we achieve cooperation via a partnership amongst Industry, the School of Engineering, and the School of Management. The manifestation of leadership through cooperation in order to further achievement is a common theme in both cases.”