By Lois Slavin, ESD Communications Director
On October 28-29, 2004, over 60 LFM alumni from around the world gathered in Tempe, AZ for the LFM alumni conference. The theme was “Leaders for Global Manufacturing: Small World, Big Challenges.” Thanks to hosts from the Arizona State University (ASU) Corporate Leaders Program, the group enjoyed beautiful historic conference space on the ASU campus.
Speakers included the following:
• Gulzar Modh Ali, Intel VP, Technology Manufacturing Group and General Manager of Assembly Test, whose topic was “Leveraging Global Culture in Our Journey Toward Global Leadership Development;”
• Dr. Robert Moran, Faculty Emeritus, Thunderbird School of International Management, who spoke on “The Cultural Context of Global Business;”
• A panel of Honeywell executives, consisting of Rob Mionis (Vice President, Aerospace Electronic Systems, Integrated Supply Chain), Margaret Dano (Vice President, Transportation and Power Systems, Worldwide Operations), and Beth Wozniak (Vice President, Automation and Controls Systems, Business Transformation). An audience Q&A followed;
• Don Rosenfield, Director of the LFM Fellows Program, who gave his traditional LFM update;
• Greg Frazier, VP of Global Supply Chain Services, who spoke on new business models for supply chain partnerships and distribution;
• Laura Bochnak, Senior Manager, Accenture, who discussed frameworks used to evaluate the total cost impact of global sourcing decisions.
In addition, there were several alumni-led breakout sessions. These included work/life balance, moderated by Mike Peterson (GM); LFMs in supply chain and IT, with Jay Burkholder (Optiant), John Bean (Intel), and Scott Ball (i2) and moderated by Mark Graban (Honeywell); the pro’s and con’s of globalization, moderated by Toni Albers (Honeywell); and RosettaNet and supply chain communications, led by Peter Kacandes (Adobe Systems).
Alums also participated in plant tours at Intel, Fab 2; Ping Golf; Honeywell Engines; and Avnet. Alumni also enjoyed social outings Wednesday and Thursday nights and numerous networking breaks throughout the conference.
The conference was organized by LFM alums Mark Graban, Miriam Park, Kim Murdoch, Mike Parkins, Roberta Bailey Roberts, Brian Kelly, Toni Albers, Amber Chesborough, Eric Jan, Wes Margeson, and Sheila Bragg
Note: Speaker bios can be viewed at http://lfmsdm.mit.edu/lfm/conf04/. Presentations can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/2004_LFM_Conference/files/ The Yahoo Group requires registration as an LFM alum, see the site for details or email firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
Some Photos taken at the conference:
From left to right: Sheila Bragg, Brian Kelly, Roberta Bailey Roberts, Wes Margeson, Kim Murdoch, Mark Graban, Mike Parkins, Miriam Park, Toni Albers.